STAGE 1: LEARNER'S PERMIT
1. Minimum of 15 years of age.
2. Must complete 30 hours of classroom instruction and 8 hours behind the wheel driving instruction.
3. Must pass visual examination, written, and road sign tests.
4. Authorized to drive with one licensed parent, guardian, or adult at least 21 or sibling at least 18.
5. Must maintain learner's license for a minimum of 180 days and cannot change to intermediate stage until
attainment of sixteenth birthday.
STAGE 2: INTERMEDIATE STAGE
1. Must have completed STAGE 1.
2. Minimum 16 years of age.
3. Pass the on-road driving test.
4. Prohibited from driving between the hours of 11 PM - 5 AM unless accompanied by a licensed parent,
guardian, or adult at least 21 or sibling at least 18.
5. Must be maintained until attainment of seventeenth birthday.
STAGE 3: FULL LICENSE
1. Must successfully complete stages 1. and 2., or,
2. Minimum 17 years of age prior to application of first license.
The American Driver Training Student Education Association estimates that a young driver needs at least
35 hours of supervised driving in a variety of conditions before he/she is capable of handling a car alone.